Director of Youth Education – Posted April 2022
A vibrant part of Austin’s growing Jewish community, Congregation Agudas Achim is seeking a dynamic Jewish leader with expertise in youth education and engagement. Our children are engaged in uplifting and inspiring formal and informal education opportunities. The Director of Youth Education will oversee Congregation Agudas Achim Religious School (CAARS) programming and operations for CAARS main and satellite campuses (Selah School), and oversee youth and teen social programming for our students K-12th grade. Reporting to the clergy, the director will work closely with them to strengthen existing educational programming and develop and implement new, and dynamic educational programming for our youth and their families. Candidates must have strong communication, collaboration, and leadership skills.
- Develop, implement, and oversee curriculum, instruction, and innovative programs that advance the goals of CAARS and Selah School (South Austin satellite school).
- Maintain a strong relationship between teachers and families.
- Hire, train, support, inspire, and evaluate CAARS and Selah teachers and staff, including the madrichim program for teen teachers’ aides.
- Support the needs of diverse learners.
- Actively participate in promoting and marketing the school within the CAA community and Austin community-at-large with an aim to increase enrollment year over year.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Director of Development to manage the CAARS and Selah budgets with fiscal responsibility, and inform and participate in fundraising initiatives.
- Collaborate with CAA clergy to ensure consistency in values, goals and tactics of CAA educational programming, including milestones such as Kabbalat HaTorah, B’nei Mitzvot, and Confirmation.
- Oversee youth social programming initiatives and operations for K-12 youth groups (Chaverim, Gesher, USY)
- Collaborate with clergy to plan and execute youth and family religious and holiday programming.
- Serve as an ambassador and representative of CAA on the Dell Jewish Community Campus and in the Austin community at large.
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least three years of relevant experience in a Jewish education leadership role
- A degree in education, Jewish education, or related field
- A strong, collaborative working relationship with clergy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- The ability to manage multiple priorities effectively
- The ability to represent CAA and CAARS professionally at all times
- The ability to work non-traditional hours (weekends, some evenings and some Shabbat and holiday services)
- A growth mindset
Why is CAA a great place to work?
- Located in Austin, TX a vibrant, growing Jewish community
- Active and supportive lay leadership and parent community
- Dynamic, collaborative, inspirational and accessible clergy
- Warm, welcoming, thriving community
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Salary range: $78,000 – $86,000
- Health, dental, and vision insurance contributions
- Competitive PTO and family leave plans
- Retirement plan contributions
- Paid membership in Jewish Educators Assembly
- Professional development stipend
- Complimentary CAA membership and participation in all synagogue events
- Complimentary CAARS tuition for Director’s children
- Family membership in Shalom Austin
- Substantial discounts at the JCC’s Early Childhood Program, most Shalom Austin youth and family programming (camps, classes, fitness programs), and the Austin Jewish Academy
Work Environment (Conditions and Physical Demands)
This job operates in a professional, in-person, virtual, home office, and hybrid environment, with occasional local and national travel. This role routinely uses standard office equipment, including laptops and cell phones. The employee is generally required to spend long periods sitting, typing, and working at a computer. It may require the ability to lift and transport items occasionally.
Commitment to Disability, Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Congregation Agudas Achim is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. CAA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, age, sex, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Congregation Agudas Achim
Congregation Agudas Achim, an egalitarian Conservative congregation with 670+ membership families (currently 120 students enrolled and growing), embraces all Jews who wish to explore and enhance their connection with our God and Jewish spirituality, learning, and culture. Inspired by our tradition, we welcome and encourage full and equal participation of all people in all aspects of synagogue life. We come together for worship, study, life cycle events and other occasions to share joy, lend support, and provide comfort. With guidance from talented professionals and accountable lay leadership, we strive to meet the needs and promote the welfare of our Jewish community and the community at large.
The lay and professional leadership of Congregation Agudas Achim open pathways for connection to God through prayer, Jewish learning and social and cultural opportunities. We model responsible congregational behavior and embrace our responsibility to create a community where people can be inspired religiously, spiritually, educationally, socially, and culturally. We solicit time, money and thoughts from the community to focus these resources on key programs so that they increase in participation and energy, and we improve the spirit of the congregation.
To view a list of current openings in our religious school (CAARS), please click here.