Open to 8th – 12th graders, our Madrichim & MITs (Madrichim in Training) are our teen leadership program at CAA. Madrich/a translates as “leader” or “guide,” and we encourage the teens who serve as Madrichim (the plural of Madrich) to view themselves as guiding our students on their Jewish journeys. Being a Madrich/a enables our teens to develop communication, organizational and teaching skills. Confidence, pride, meaning and a renewed passion for Judaism – that’s what this program creates for our teens. Because of the effort and care of our Madrichim, CAARS students become curious about their faith and find a place where they feel comfortable being Jewish.
Madrichim emphasize their commitment to their Jewish community through their continued involvement in CAARS and by passing on to younger students what they have learned. CAARS Madrichim are compensated with either an hourly wage or community service hours.
Our Madrichim learn how to build relationships, to care for students in need, to teach, and more. Madrichim:
- Prepare and teach lessons
- Serve as a positive role model, model Jewish values in the classroom
- Lead small group activities and discussions
- Assist students in need and/or Tutor students in Hebrew (1-on-1)
- Read stories, play games, and review classroom material
- Provide a safe and loving environment for every student
- Make it “cool” to be Jewish
- Bring a sense of ruach (spirit) to the classroom and our community
The requirements of our Madrichim program:
- Being enrolled in and participating in your grade at jtx/CAARS.
(Learn more about jtx – our new joint teen high school program – here)
- Being responsible for working on Sunday mornings with Judaics and/or Tuesday afternoons with Hebrew
Madrichim in the Virtual Classroom:
- Lead breakout groups
- Create materials for class (slide show, video, games like Kahoot, etc.)
- Read books to students
- Moderate the Zoom classroom (chat, etc.)
We also have positions for madrichim that are not “in classroom” positions: 1. Social Media helps to create and post family activities and other engagement on our social media channels
2. Story Time creates videos or other media of Jewish storybooks to share with the CAARS community
3. Tefillah leader works with the Rabbis and Ben Saffer to help lead engaging and meaningful tefillah for our students.
4. We encourage teens to share with us other roles they think they can help us fill.
MIT (Madrichim In Training)
MIT’s are our 8th grade participants who are learning and training to become Madrichim at CAARS. We are providing everything teens need to be successful in this important role. Madrichim learn how to model Jewish values, lead small groups, facilitate games, communicate with students, aid in classroom management, write lesson plans and incorporate Jewish topics. In the classroom, MITs implement what they’ve learned with the support of a supervising teacher and at least one older, experienced madrich/a.
Dear Madrichim and MIT’s,
As you know we are starting a unique year of our religious school experience. The CAARS program has had to adapt to online learning due to Covid-19.
Normally, we would have welcomed you to the madrichim program much earlier than this! We did not forget about you. How could we?
As you are likely aware, due to the Fall holidays occurring or starting on Sundays, our regularly scheduled Sunday school program won’t really begin until October. This allows some time for you to get settled in your school routines first, and then think about your commitment to the madrichim program in the coming year.
Please remember that you must be an Agudas Achim Member in good standing and continue your own learning in our teen program. This year will be the first year of our new joint teen high school program with Temple Beth Shalom, jtx!
Please fill out this application indicating your interest in being a madrich/a for the coming year. I’ll get back to you soon with more details and additional information.
I hope you had an awesome summer and I have really missed seeing you in person.
Leslie Kornblith, Madrichim Coordinator