TEACHING ASSISTANTS. BUT IT’S SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT.
Open to 8th – 12th graders, our Madrichim program is our teen leadership program at CAA. Madrich/a translates as “leader” or “guide,” and we encourage the teens who serve as Madrichim (the plural of Madrich) to view themselves as guiding our students on their Jewish journeys. Being a Madrich/a enables our teens to develop communication, organizational, and teaching skills. Confidence, pride, meaning and a renewed passion for Judaism – that’s what this program creates for our teens. Because of the effort and care of our Madrichim, CAARS students become curious about their faith and find a place where they feel comfortable being Jewish.
Madrichim emphasize their commitment to their Jewish community through their continued involvement in CAARS and by passing on to younger students what they have learned. Our 8th grade participants can become M.I.T’s (Madrichim in Training) and our 9th – 12th grade participants can choose what type of madrich/a they would like to be. Our most experienced 11th – 12th grade madrichim have the opportunity to lead their own class.
CAARS Madrichim are compensated with either an hourly wage or community service hours. 8th grade M.I.Ts or first time madrichim (who were not M.I.Ts) are only offered volunteer (community service) positions.
Our Madrichim learn how to build relationships, to care for students in need, to teach, and more. Our Madrichim:
- Communicate regularly with their lead teacher
- Prepare and teach lessons
- Serve as a positive role model, model Jewish values in the classroom
- Lead small group activities and discussions
- Helping the classroom run smoothly
- Assist students who need academic, social or emotional support.
- Tutor students in Hebrew (1-on-1)
- Read stories, play games, and review classroom material
- Provide a safe and loving environment for every student
- Serving as a positive Jewish role model, showing our students just how much fun and meaning there is in Jewish learning and life!
- Bring a sense of ruach (spirit) to the classroom and our community
1. *NEW* Madrich/a Teacher (11th – 12th Grade Only) [Sunday 9:00 – 12:00]
For CAARS Pre-K – 6th grade classes. Our most experienced madrichim have the opportunity to take on more responsibility and co-teach a class. Madrichim teachers will work with a grade level lead teacher to prepare lesson and to lead their own group of students for the entire year.
2. Classroom Madrichim [Sunday 9:00 – 12:00]
For CAARS Pre-K – 6th grade classes. Classroom madrichim work with their lead teachers to prepare part of a lesson by: reading a story to their students, facilitating an art project, or running a game or station.
3. Hebrew Madrichim [Tuesday 4:00 – 6:30 on Zoom]
For 3rd – 6th grade Hebrew pods. Hebrew madrichim work with students one to one, and/or teach games/activities in the classroom. Our online Hebrew school madrichim play an important technological role in their zoom classroom spaces.
4. Office Madrich/a [Sunday 8:45 – 12:00]
We are looking for one madrich/a to work with us in the office. Duties may include: staffing the front desk, answering the phones, taking attendance, transporting items or message, work with parents, and helping students. Overall, they will be one of our friendly, welcoming faces at CAARS on Sunday mornings!
5. Photography/Social Media [Sunday 9:00 – 12:00]
In this position, our madrich/a walks around during CAARS to take photos of what’s going on. They also create and post family activities and other engagement on our social media channels
6. Tefillah Leader [Sunday 9:00 – 12:00]
In this position, our madrich/a works with the Rabbis and Ben Saffer to help lead engaging and meaningful tefillah for our students.
Madrichim are expected to:
- Attend Staff Orientation on Sunday, August 29 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM.
- Communicate regularly with lead teacher and Adra.
- Attend at least 75% of classes and to be in regular communication with their teachers. On a day that they cannot attend they must let their teacher and Adra know in advance.
- If you can only make part of the year/some of the weeks, we would love to still find a role for you. Please apply and chat more with us about this!
- Be enrolled in and participate in your grade at jtx.
(Learn more about jtx – our new joint teen high school program – here)
Please reach out to Adra Lustig, email@example.com if you have any questions or are looking for more information.
M.I.T (Madrichim In Training)
M.I.Ts are our 8th grade participants who are learning and training to become Madrichim at CAARS. Our teen leadership program provides a foundation for our teens to be successful in this important role. M.I.Ts learn how to model Jewish values, lead small groups, facilitate games, communicate with students, aid in classroom management, write lesson plans and incorporate Jewish topics.
M.I.T will work in a classroom with the support of a supervising teacher and at least one older, experienced madrichim. We will hold once a month training sessions on Zoom throughout the year.Madrichim Program Application